Bant is a world cut off from red and black mana, a haven of order, honor, and community. It's a shard of Alara where traditions have thrived, protected by innumerable knightly orders, warrior angels, and a caste system designed to support the good of the many over the good of the few. Without the magic of death and chaos there to threaten convention and stability, and with angels flying as tireless symbols of peace and justice, its community traditions have become codified into law. Its monks study the words of ancient prayers. Its mages and clerics practice magic of healing, prevention, protection, and growth. Its druids and laborers care for the rolling fields, bringing nourishment to the population. And its knights—the finest in all of Alara's shards, not that they'd know it—practice the codes and forms of martial perfection, weighed down by the medallions of honor and patronage known as sigils.
Without the destructive or selfish impulses of red and black mana, Bant has become a golden utopia. Angels rule the realm with benevolence and grace. Humans and the birdfolk called aven resolve their conflicts with ritualized combat. Duty and honor are the bedrock of this kingdom of light.
Bant is a land of towering castles and leotau-riding knights, angeks and high castles on rolling meadows. It is a world that loves order and values the group. The ruling establishment is noble and righteous, and the society is well-ordered with a strong sense of right and wrong.
There are still battles held on this shard, but they are battles of noble cause. The fighting isn't just for the sake of fighting, but as a means to find resolution. When two factions disagreed, they have a structured combat to resolve the issue. Rather than risk the health of entire armies, each group picks one champion and sends him or her as their representative.
Bant is governed by a caste system, a tiered social organization to which all mortals belong. Bant's castes are:
- Blessed – These are the nobles, monarchs, and community leaders of Bant, many of whom communicate directly with the angels.
- Sighted – This is the caste of monks, clerics, seers, and other spiritual leaders. Interestingly, their status is not tied directly to the angels, but to the insights they bring on their own.
- Sigiled – Any soldier or knight who has earned a sigil of patronage becomes part of the honorable Sigiled caste. Members of this caste are ranked according to how many sigils they bear.
- Mortar – Most people on Bant are part of Mortar caste, the common folk who provide the workforce of the world's nations.
- Unbeholden – The shameful Unbeholden caste is composed of undisciplined lawbreakers.
Many on Bant believe that through noble deeds, any person can ascend through the castes, and that the noblest of Blessed-caste might become an angel.
Rhoxes are the ascetics and warrior-monks of Bant. They earn sigils just like any other worthy soul on the plane, and can be both the fiercest combatants on the battlefield and the most enlightened thinkers in the monastery. Rhoxes are characteristically terse and gruff. If you hear advice from a rhox, take it, as it might be the only thing you hear from him or her all day.
Countries and Realms of Bant